Thursday, 19 December 2013

Best Books of 2013

It wasn't the best reading year for me. I read less than usual and I seemed to read a lot of so-so books.
Happily the books that did shine for me, shone really bright.
The following all transported me, made me laugh, cry, swoon, and wish I could be friends with these characters.
Adult
The Chocolate Kiss by Laura Florand
This series is just delicious. The romance is both sweet and extremely steamy, and the descriptions of chocolate and pastries are delectable. I've loved all the books, but Magalie and Philippe, and La Maison des Sorcieres, hold a special place in my heart. Please someone get me a chocolate witch for Christmas.
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
I went back and forth about including this on the list. I really like Liane Moriarty, she has a great style and I think her characters are always interesting and engaging. I didn't love the end of this book though, the secret didn't really work for me. I did love the characters though, especially Celia. They are the kind that take up residence in your head and you find yourself thinking about them weeks later. (if you've never read Liane Moriarty though I would start with What Alice Forgot which is amazing).
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
I didn't love this with the passion I felt for Eleanor & Park, but I did think it was brilliantly done. Rainbow Rowell writes amazingly good characters. the kind you can't believe she made up, I feel like Beth and Jennifer must be real. Their email exchanges are an absolute delight and had me laughing out loud.
YA

Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
I really didn't think this book would be my cup of tea, but I absolutely fell in love with it from the first page. Travis's voice is A-MA-ZING, and the whole book is raw and powerful and just fantastic.
Untold by Sarah Rees Brennan
I LOVE Sarah Rees Brennan, she's lucky I have never made it to one of her signing because I would probably behave like a mad fan girl :)
I loved this fantastic follow up to Unspoken. The characters developed, the stakes were raised, and there were some amazingly swoony kisses. I can't wait for Unmade.
The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
One of my favourite authors (I have made it to two of her signings, but I just mumbled at her). The Dream Thieves was a brilliant follow up to The Raven Boys. It made me ache.
It also made me love Gansey. I wasn't a huge Gansey fan in the first book, but we got to see much more of what makes him tick in this book. It was the same with Blue, who was a something of an enigma in book one. I can't wait for book 3, I have this crazy theory of what might happen, but I'll probably be completely wrong.
Haze by Paula Weston

Another second book and another fantastic follow up. I loved Paula Weston's take on angels. This one is fast paced, action packed and swoony!
Ruby Red and Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier
Time travel, romance, ghosts, intrigue and an extremely funny heroine. I just love this series.
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
I can quite see why everyone raves about Casandra Clare. I'm now a big fan of Shadowhunters.
What were your best books of 2013?

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I still haven't read Untold, I feel like such a terrible SRB fan. I really want to read Attachments as well, Rainbow Rowell has had such a good year. Thanks for posting your best-of list, I always enjoy your recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Audrey! I've been such a terrible blogger this year. I want to review more next year. Hope you enjoy Untold and Attachment. They are both great books.
    Thanks for commenting. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D