Sunday, 15 September 2013

Review - Untold



It’s time to choose sides… On the surface, Sorry-in-the-Vale is a sleepy English town. But Kami Glass knows the truth. Sorry-in-the-Vale is full of magic. In the old days, the Lynburn family ruled with fear, terrifying the people into submission in order to kill for blood and power. Now the Lynburns are back, and Rob Lynburn is gathering sorcerers so that the town can return to the old ways.

But Rob and his followers aren’t the only sorcerers in town. A decision must be made: pay the blood sacrifice, or fight. For Kami, this means more than just choosing between good and evil. With her link to Jared Lynburn severed, she’s now free to love anyone she chooses. But who should that be? (from Goodreads)


Sarah Rees Brennan has a talent for second books. I liked The Demon's Lexicon, but I fell in love with the series after The Demon's Covenant. It's the same with her new series The Lynburn Legacy. I enjoyed the first book Unspoken a great deal, but I loved Untold. The story line whips along and there's great character development. It is also seriously funny. I love the humour in these books and the snarky one liners and observations.

Untold begins with Kami, and her fabulous band of friends, trying to figure out a way to prevent Rob Lynburn claiming his sacrifice and returning Sorry-in-the-vale to the old days. When the Lynburns ruled the village through fear and blood.

It's hard it imagine Kami not winning this war when she has such fabulous people as Angela, Rusty and Holly on her side. I love that bunch. Especially Rusty, every time Rusty was on the page I would be smiling. Which is why I was little worried about the hints that were dropped suggesting that Rusty likes Kami. I do not want Rusty hurt, and if one thing was clear to me at the end of Untold, it's that Kami can end up with no one but Jared.

I felt quite differently at the end of Untold, I wasn't a Jared fan at all, but that's the other thing Sarah Rees Brennan has a talent for, writing characters that I initial dislike then making me love, adore and worry about them. She did it with Nick in The Demon's Lexicon and she's done it again with Jared in Untold. I'm looking forward to finding out more of his backstory and hopefully seeing his relationships with his cousin Ash and his Aunt Lillian develop.

With this new book, Sarah Rees Brennan remains one of my must buy authors and one that can be guaranteed to make me laugh. While the plot is fun and action scenes exciting, the main reason I love her books is the interaction and bonds between the characters. I could read about Kami and her friends all day.

Have you read Untold? What did you think?


4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness. I need this book in my hands now. I love authors with a talent for second books. They're my favorite kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you love it too Angie! I've read a few negative things about it, but I thought she did an excellent job and really set up the last book for a huge show down! I'm hoping Holly gets to narrate more too as I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh you should not be allowed to write reviews that make want to drop everything and read the book. I remember I fell in love after The Demon's Covenant as well :) Is it weird to say I'm looking forward to falling in love with Jared? I was not a huge fan myself after book 1 :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not weird at all. It's fun to love characters and I really liked Jared this time around. He actually reminded me of Nick :D

      Hope you get time to read it soon and blog your thoughts!

      Delete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D