Thursday, 19 September 2013

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill



"You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.

Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside. 

Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. 

All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice. (from Goodreads)



All Our Yesterdays is brilliantly addictive. I kept sneaking off to read snatches of it. I was completely hooked from the first page, when we meet Em in her cell wondering about the purpose of the drain on the floor.

The plot zooms along and is told in a duel narrative, by Em in the future, and Marina in the present. I really liked the two story lines, and the way flashbacks were incorporated into the future timeline was very well done and in no way annoying. Actually I would have liked more of those flashbacks, they were some of my favourite scenes. 

I can't say whether the time travel actual stands up to scrutiny. It felt real and possible when I was reading, and reminded me of Quantum Leaps opening explanation, always a good thing, but I choose not to examine it too closely as I didn't want to spoil the story.

The characters are wonderful. I loved Em, came to like Marina, and absolutely adored Finn. The Doctor is a chilling "villain" made more so because you can sympathise with him. He's doing terrible things, but he's convinced he's doing them for the right reasons. 

I liked the dynamics between all the characters and the romance is gorgeous and swoony. 

I really enjoyed All Our Yesterdays, especially the ending, which I thought wrapped everything up really well. I was interested to see that there's a sequel in the works though and I'm wondering where Cristin Terrill will take things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D