Thursday, 16 May 2013

A Few Adult Books I Have Loved this Year

As the title says this is a blog about reading YA, but I've read some fabulous adult books lately. So I'm going to do a few mini reviews.

The Chocolate Thief by Laura Florand

This book, this book! I absolutely loved it and I am craving more, lucky me there are two more books in the series - hoo-ray. It is the tale of Cade Corey, the american heir to the Corey chocolate bar fortune (33c a bar) and Sylvain Marquis, the Parisian Chocolate Artisan (he definitely needs those capitals!).

It is the clash of two worlds and two very determined people.

It made me laugh, swoon, and CRAVE chocolate. Highly recommended, although I will remind you that it's an adult book and things do get steamy.

I downloaded this this after reading Angie's rave review, thanks Angie!







Someday, Someday Maybe By Lauren Graham

I bought this because I have a deep, abiding love for Gilmore Girls. This read a lot like Gilmore Girls episode, it had the same tone and humour, which more than made up for a plot that had few surprises. I really liked main character Franny and was imagining Lauren Graham playing her the whole time I was reading. Also, due to me muddling names, I was imagining James Franco as the love interest James Franklin, the whole way through. I kept thinking it was odd she was writing about a real person and wondering if it was semi auotboigraphical - ha - it's not I'm just bad at names.









Life After Life - Kate Atkinson

Kate Atkinson is one of my auto-buy authors. I adore her. Her new novel is utterly brilliant. The kind that gets stuck in your head and makes you think, the kind you keep coming back to.

It follows Ursula Todd as she lives and dies, again and again, and again.  Recommended for anyone whose ever thought "What if?"

(and the war part is outstanding)











The Girl You Left Behind - JoJo Moyes

If a book is set in WW2 I will buy it, this period of history fascinates me. The Girl You Left Behind was and excellent addition to my collection.

It moves between the lives of two women, Sophie and Liv, and two periods of time, occupied France and present day London. I adored how and why Sophie and Liv's stories were interwoven, and, unusually, I liked both stories equally. I'm normally weighted towards one in books with split narratives. I'll definitely be reading more by JoJo Moyes.

7 comments:

  1. So giddy you loved The Chocolate Thief, too! Definitely read The Chocolate Kiss soon. *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saving it for half term :)

      Delete
  2. These sound great - especially the Chocolate Thief! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really, really good. I love a good romance, but find so many adult romances fall kind of flat for me. It helped that chocolate played a central role ;)

      Delete
  3. Life After Life is on my TBR (I've heard really good things!) as is Lauren Graham's book. I have a copy of the JoJo Moyes so might check that one out soon!

    If you are checking out more adult reads you might like The First Last Kiss by Ali Harris - it's one of my faves this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look out for it. The author's name rings a bell I think I might have seen her books in the shops.

    I'm sure you'll love Life After Life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Alexa, these look fabulous! Can't wait to try a few of them!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D