Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Maggie Stiefvater Book Signing

On Saturday I headed up to London to the Maggie Steifvater event at Foyles.

Just a side note - Foyles is my favourite bookshop in England and well worth a visit if you are ever in London and need a rest from all the sightseeing!

The event was excellent and made even more so by the fact that Jonas and Plunkett were performing. They sang Summer Girl, a song Sam writes about Grace in The Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy, and they performed their song Spaceship, which Maggie listened too while writing Linger. They're really good (and funny) and I recommend checking them out on iTunes. I like Stole the Show.


Jonas & Plunkett and Maggie (who had seriously excellent boots on)

Then Maggie spoke, she was very funny and engaging and made everything feel very spontaneous and interesting, which must be hard because she'd been on tour for a while.

She began with a list of the Ten Things You Need To Know To Write a Maggie Stiefvater novel. Of which I can remember;

1) Start with a mood

and

10) Ignore the list.

Then she told the story of finding out she was on the NYT best seller list. She was on a plane, on a cellphone, the air stewardess was unimpressed! Then  she told about visiting a british school, where the first question was actually a comment that her accent was cute, and the second was what airline did she fly with - haha very British. I hope one of them asked her about the weather in America.

Then she spoke a little about her The Scorpio Races (which is amazing, review coming soon, but I think I can safely say it was my favourite book this year) and how much she wants to leave readers sobbing wrecks.

Then she took questions. Of which I remember these answers;

The duel narratives are because she wanted to know what the boy was thinking not have the girl guessing.

Cole is her favourite character (really? not Sean!) but you need to find yourself a Sam.

If you get stuck - research.

There may be another fairy book, but it keeps getting kicked in the ditch by other books.

She can not speak about her next book, but referred to it as magical novel.

That's all. I should really take notes as I'm sure she said a lot more interesting things!


The we made a very long line to get books signed. As she'd told us she wanted to leave her readers sobbing. I told her I'd cried over The Scorpio Races in Costa coffee the day before (p316 people who've read it), and I did cry again at the end *sniff*.

Anyway I wouldn't go to a signing and not pick up a copy for my lovely blog readers. So if you would like a signed copy of the  The Scorpio Races (UK cover) leave a comment here by Friday 18th November 12pm GMT and I'll put your name in the hat.

It's International.

8 comments:

  1. I love it in Foyles too in London. SO big and just, so lovely in there.
    I haven't read this author but I went to Foyles a couple of years ago and met Patrick Ness, Mary Hooper, Keith Gray and Sophie McKenzie?
    It was great fun.

    Glad you had a good time, book signings are such great things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had an awesome time. I'm actually not a big fan of Maggie Stiefvater *ducks to avoid flying objects* but I do love her blog :)

    Also, Foyles sounds awesome. I'm in Canada, so I haven't visited it, but DUDE. I want to.

    Raindrop Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Foyle's, too! I really enjoyed your account, it sounds like insane fun. Maggie is a wonderful speaker, cracks me up every time XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Maggie- she's so much fun. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. I still need to read The Scorpio Races and I've heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just started The Scorpio Races, and I'm LOVING it. I want to live in her writing, it's so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PAGE 316! *sob*

    Thanks for the lovely account of the signing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would I like her books? Enter me, if I would. I'm so lucky to have you screening books for me! Haha. Sounds like a great day. Good boots are essential. When I spoke at Wordstock with Cecil Castelluci (who had on gold clogs), I wore the boots I bought when I sold Restoring Harmony. One of the comments was, "You both have great footwear." People notice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you had such a great time at the Maggie signing! Foyles sounds great!

    My husband is getting me THE SCORPIO RACES for Christmas (I don't know if I have it in me to wait that long to read it), so don't worry about entering me in your contest. Although the UK cover is fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D