Saturday, 5 November 2011

Bonfire Night



One of the things I have most been looking forward to since retuning to the Uk, is getting to go to Bonfire Night.

Historically it is a celebration of the failure of Guy Fawkes and his friends plan to blow up King James I (VI of Scotland, have to put that in for my Dad) and the Houses of Parliament (you can find a more detailed account here, if you are curious). 

Although a Guy is still made and burnt on the bonfire, the 5th November is now mainly a chance to watch fireworks, stand around a big fire, eat parkin and drink mulled wine and generally have a magical night.

There is something about the smell of a bonfire on a cold, crisp autumn night that is just gorgeous. I have always loved Bonfire Night, but I'm even more excited this year because; I haven't been to one in seven years, it will be my son's first Bonfire Night experience, and there is a brilliantly evocative scene in The Scorpio Races set around a Bonfire, that completely has me in the mood to go to one. Now if only I had a November cake to eat!




6 comments:

  1. "Remember, remember the fifth of November, gun powder, treason, and plot." That's all I remember of the Guy Fawkes rhyme told to me by my British parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun! Have an awesome time. And I really need to read The Scorpio Races!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're as excited as i am! I love bonfire night, it makes me feel like autumn has truly arrived!


    http://keepcalmandbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you like to keep up on the Archers, but don't have time so I'll just tell you that for weeks now, one of the characters has had a petition to move the bonfire/fireworks from the village green to somewhere else because of the mess & noise. Everyone thinks she's nuts and keeps putting fake names on her petition, like Guy Fawkes. High drama in Ambridge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it sounds lovely. Hope you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen- yes! I learnt that as a kid. The next bit is I see no reason why gunpowder treason should ever be forgot - not the world's best verse eh?

    Meredith - Thanks we will :) And yes you must@

    Hannah - it's so much fun. 5th November marks the count down to Christmas.

    Joelle - LOL that's so funny and oh yes you know I LOVE the Archers ;)

    Angie - thanks, we made November cakes!! They're very good :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D