Monday, 8 November 2010

NaNoWriMo Week 1

It's the end of week one and I am on schedule with NaNo, despite the clocks going back so

Hoo-Ray!

 Today used to be a day I loved, ( an extra hour in bed!) but the baby didn't think that was such a good plan. He woke with a howl at 5.30, which was really 6.30, but for some reason the digits on the alarm clock held more sway over my mind. I spent today in a daze that even a Pumpkin Spice Latte couldn't break. Hopefully my 1666 words weren't to dreadful.

Anyway I have two questions.

1) Is it just me or does everyone eat more when it's cold and dark outside?

I swear I'm eating twice as much.

and

2) Do you read the genre you write?

I mean I'm sure we all read in our genre, but when you're actually writing, do you read in it? This month I'm trying to stay away from YA, on the advice of some famous writer (I can't remember who). It's seems quite a sensible idea. I mean when you are churning out first draft drivel (or maybe that's just me), curling up with a Melina Marchetta or Elizabeth Scott is just a recipe for ripping your manuscript to shreds!

 Instead I've been reading Sherlock Holmes, inspired by the new series, which has utterly charmed me.


The New Holmes and Watson - a perfect pairing!


If you haven't seen it yet, you must (especially if you're a Dr Who fan). The fabulous twist, brilliant cast, and excellent writing make this must watch TV. Of course, I expected no less of Steven Moffet - creator of Press Gang (best children's TV show ever) and writer of Blink (best Dr Who episode ever)



Yes I know he's no longer the Dr, but I prefer him to the new one!

Anyway I shall be back next week for my NaNo check in. Hope all of you who are participating are doing great and all those who aren't are reading great books!


11 comments:

  1. i like David Tennant the best too :) so, yeah, thanks for that :)

    I also can;t read YA when I'm trying to write mine. Last year i was working on an MS and re-reading The Bronze Horseman trilogy and noticed my own writing get a bit like Paullinas - which worked in her books but was WAY TOO romantic and lovey for mine (his creme brulee eyes, etc, haha) :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new Sherlock! My husband and I have been watching it online on PBS. So good.

    Like Nomes, I find that my writing is sometimes influenced by what I'm reading, or, like you, I'm reading something awesome and I want to rip my manuscript to shreds. I generally read classics (hey! also like you--Sherlock Holmes!) when I'm writing. They're different enough from my own writing in their very formal vocabulary/style that I don't find myself easily influenced, yet I also admire the writing and don't feel like it'll be awful if some if its awesomeness rubs off on me and shows up in what i write. I have no idea what I just said. :)

    Congrats on being caught up with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Doctor Who! Blink is one of my favorite episodes too, and I adore Steven Moffat. I haven't gotten around to watching the new Doctor Who, though.

    And yeah, I basically don't eat in the summer unless I have major air conditioning... the heat just drains my will to live, and with it my will to eat. So I definitely stuff myself in the winter. Gotta pack on the insulation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nomes - David T was perfect as the Dr, Sherlock Holmes actually reminds me of him.

    I now really want creme brulee LOL!

    Kim - Isn't it fab! Yes that's what I'm hoping too. I'm going to re-read P&P next it feels like that kind of weather :)

    Meagan - The new Dr is good. I love Amy the new assistant. I know that's what I'm telling myself. Unfortunately my son and I have started swimming lessons so I can't hide under baggy jumpers this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, David Tennant! (although I like the new Dr, too).

    I'm glad you're on track with your NaNo goals. I haven't even started yet. Eek! I'd better get a move on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on NaNo! I'm huffing and puffing just trying to keep up with 1667-words per day. Must make it to the finish line!

    I actually read more books in my book's genre when I'm drafting a WIP. It helps me get inspiration when I hit a bump in my writing. Usually, I pick a few books to be my muses. When I was writing my MG sci-fi, I re-read Harry Potter 3 a few times and Ender's Game. For my YA dystopian, I refer to The Adoration of Jenna Fox since it has the voice that I'm going for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vee - me too. Good Luck with naNo

    Caroline - ohh interesting! I like how we're all different. I'm even more keep to hear about your book now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on being on schedule with NaNo!!! That's so awesome. And now I really need to watch that new Sherlock Holmes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, do I ever eat when it's cold and dark. Only now summer is approaching here in Australia, and the day of reckoning is here! Oh, my waistline.

    I love reading in my genre. I write this stuff because I love it, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. On number 1) I eat four times as much. Eeep!

    On number 2) Yes. But I love other genres too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meredith - Thanks and enjoy!

    Amie - ah summer, I remember that. me too I LOVE YA I'm just not sure whether to read it while I try and write it.

    Fickle - You need it for brain power right :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D