Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Review: The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

The Piper's Son is the sequel to Melina's Marchetta amazing Saving Francesca. Set five years later the story revolves around Thomas Mackee and his Aunt Gerogie. It's been a rough five years for Thomas his favourite uncle was killed in the July 7th London Tube attacks, his family has fractured and he's drifted away from his old friends, especially Tara Finke, whose heart he broke, after the one and a half night stand.


My thoughts

I was so excited when this book arrived and then I got nervous. Very, very nervous. I loved Saving Francesca so much, and the end left all my beloved characters in such hopeful places. Although I longed to revisit them, I almost didn't want to see them struggling with new challenges.

When I finally opened it up, it was love at first sentence. I couldn't put it down. I was instantly drawn into the world of the Finch- Mackee family. Although this is Tom's story, he is very much a product of his family. Even when they're split up and not speaking, they play a huge and important role in his life.  I really enjoyed the family dynamics. The Finch Mackee's all have trouble with anger, addiction and showing their feelings. Melina shows how each generation affects the next, and the way your family shape you, even if you fight it.

As in Saving Francesca Tom's friends feature prominently. It was great to revisit Francesca, Will, Justine and that psycho Tara Finke. I loved their relationships, all the in jokes, affection and teasing. As with all Melina's books, the characterization is perfection. Everyone feels so real. They have complex lives, they have realistic conversations and reactions. They leapt off the page and into my heart. I cared so much what happened to everyone. I laughed with them, cried for them and almost stopped breathing at the end, I was so involved.

The Piper's Son deals with dark issues but hope, love, the importance of family, the joy of real friendship infuse the pages and there are always bright sparks even in the dark moments.

You really need to pick up this book.


A huge Thank You to Penguin Australia for sending me a copy.

5 comments:

  1. I'm taking your advice and adding to my list! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just requested a bunch of Melina Marchetta's books at the library :). I haven't read any but everyone says such good things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great review Alexa :) I'm trying to figure out all the thoughts in my head before writing my own, I'm gonna reread it first (I noticed the first time, I read the novel for Tom. The second time, i want to read it for Georgie, if you get what I mean). I'm glad you liked it, I loved it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've GOT TO READ THIS BOOK! I adored SAVING FRANCESCA. Thanks for the great review, Alexa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fredamans - yay!

    Rose - You will LOVE her. It's impossible not to.

    Audrey - OMG I didn't mention Gerorgie and I LOVED Georgie. I also realize I forgot to mention Annabel, the emails and the pub. I also didn't out in the quotes I'd marked. I am useless. I think I may need to write Review Part 2!

    Kim - you MUST it's wonderful and for us writers a masterclass in how to do backstory without the reader even realizing it!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D