Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Interview with Barbara Dee

Yesterday I told you about This Is Me From Now On Barbara Dee's fresh and funny novel. Barbara was kind enough to answer some questions for me. Welcome Barbara!

1) Tell us about This is me from now on in one sentence or less.

THIS IS ME FROM NOW ON is a comedy about a pair of seventh grade girls who play matchmaker…badly.

2) In the book Evie and Francesca have to do a project on the past, using a diary written during the San Francisco earthquake. Which period of time would you like to read a diary from?

Interesting question! I’ve always thought the first Queen Elizabeth was a fascinating character, so I’d love to read a diary written by someone in her court. And if it turned out she kept a diary herself—wow! I bet it would be juicy. (oh I'd love to read that too!)


3) In This is me from Now on. Francesca wears a variety of outlandish outfits. She is the seventh grade Carrie Bradshaw! Do you love dressing up or are you a jeans and t-shirt girl?
I’m a total jeans and t-shirt girl! That’s why I’m so intrigued by a character like Francesca, who’s completely original, unselfconscious and fearless.

4) What's the best writing advice you've been given?

Anything you write, read out loud. Your ears will pick up things your eyes won’t.

5) What book would you tell my readers to go and buy right now!
If they’re tween readers I’d tell them to buy a copy of WHEN YOU REACH ME by Rebecca Stead. If they’re YA, I’d say LIAR by Justine Larbalestier or GOING BOVINE by Libba Bray.



Thanks so much Barbara. 

5 comments:

  1. The book sounds good! I'll add it to my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the advice! I think it's really true (esp for things like poetry) Also, I've got an award for you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! Sounds like an awesome book - and I love the advice. Reading aloud is so important :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey - I agree great advice

    Jemi thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D