Monday, 12 April 2010

Book Review: The Sky Is Everywhere


Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey
dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life—and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey’s boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie’s own. Joe is the new boy in
town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they’re the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can’t collide without the whole wide world exploding. 



When I fall in love with a book, it is usually more Bella and Edward, than Elizabeth Bennett and Mr Darcy. With my favorites, I am irrevocably in love, by the end of the first chapter.

Not so with this book. It took a while. In fact, I put it down twice. But I picked it back up, and the second time I couldn't put it down. Suddenly I was so involved with these characters. I flew though the pages, waiting for the world to crash down, then holding my breath, hoping that it could be put back together.

The thing that called me back to this book was the notes. The ones Lennie writes to her dead sister. Not only are they beautiful, but I loved the idea that Lennie releases them into to the world, rather than keeping them in a notebook. It's like she's trying to keep Bailey's spirit in the world.

Here's the first one in the book

The morning of the day Bailey died,
she woke me up
by putting her finger in my ear.
I hated when she did this.
She then started trying on shirts, asking me:
Which do you like better, the green or the blue?
The blue.
You didn't even look up, Lennie.
Okay, the green. Really, I don't care what shirt you wear...
Then I rolled over in bed and fell back asleep.
I found out later
she wore the blue
and those were the last words I ever spoke to her.


(Found written on a lollipop wrapper on the trail to the Rain River)

The Sky is Everywhere was a slow burn for me, but it was so worth it. It's phenomenal, the characters are wonderful. I loved and ached for Lennie, and oh Joe Fontaine, I'll take you and your eyelashes over a bad boy any day!

Pick this one up, keep reading, it's so worth it.

If you want to read an excerpt (don't be put off by the houseplant business) the book had it's own web site! http://www.theskyiseverywhere.com/



Thanks to Penguin for the ARC.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes. Such a lovely book. The notes were really well done, weren't they? Slow burn is just the right way to put it as well. I finished it thoroughly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive read SO many good things about it, I can't wait to read it. great review :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D