Monday, 5 April 2010

Book Review: The Naughty List by Suzanne Young

  As if being a purrfect cheerleader isn’t enough responsibility!

Tessa Crimson’s the sweet and spunky leader of the SOS (Society of Smitten Kittens), a cheer squad–turned–spy society dedicated to bringing dastardly boyfriends to justice, one cheater at a time. Boyfriend-busting wouldn’t be so bad . . . except that so far, every suspect on the Naughty List has been proven 100% guilty!


When Tessa’s own boyfriend shows up on the List, she turns her sleuthing skills on him. Is Aiden just as naughty as all the rest, or will Tessa’s sneaky ways end in catastrophe?


The Naughty List. Is your boyfriend on it?
(from Goodreads)

This book is just so much fun! I gobbled it up, laughed, a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I love the premise of Cheerleaders going undercover to catch cheating boys.

It was also refreshing to see a popular, blonde, happy, nice cheerleader! I spent my childhood longing to be a cheerleader (why do we not have them in the UK!) but lately they seem to have a bad rep. In order to cheer, you apparently, need a heavy dose of bitchiness. Not so with Tess. She was upbeat, full of good intentions, and school spirit. I loved her.

Tess could easily have become irritating, with her super positive attitude and refusal to swear. Suzanne gives her a great backstory though. I liked the glimpses of why she is the way she is. She's also funny and I liked her commentary and the action. Here's a taste

"Yep. And you're a cheerleader?" There was that tone again. The same one as Christian had this morning. Had they been attacked by a roaming band of cheerleaders when they were younger? What was with the hostility?

Tess's refusal to swear, provides the book with one of my favourite elements. Alternative swear words! These are genius, I loved the every day phrases Suzanne used. Things like strawberry smoothie!, Brooklyn Bridge! and Holy Snap Dragon!  I think I'll be adopting these when the baby learns to talk. I may even make up a few of my own Washington Monument!, Cherry Blossom!


I'm looking forward to The Naughty List Two and hoping for some more development of the other kittens. There's a lot of potential in some of these characters, I want to hear their stories.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book - good review :) It is very refreshing to have a nice cheerleader - it's depressing how they're often portrayed.

    My favourite alternative swear word when the kids were little was Pumpernickel Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really fun! I love a girl who won't swear. :) When my sister was little (she's 24 now), she started saying the Lord's name in vain when she heard it on TV or around friends, so we taught her to say, "Oh my rice!" Not as original and fun as Suzanne Young's alternative cuss words (or yours, or Jemi's!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard tons of good things about this book, I guess I'll have to read it sometime =D
    awesome review!
    I always just changed my swear word to something less bad, like frick/frack/fudge, shite, and bee-yatch... I still do haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that "hungry, hungry hippos" works well when I don't want to swear.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D