Monday, 29 March 2010

Review: The Line by Terri Hall



An invisible, uncrossable physical barrier encloses the Unified States. The Line is the part of the border that lopped off part of the country, dooming the inhabitants to an unknown fate when the enemy used a banned weapon. It’s said that bizarre creatures and superhumans live on the other side, in Away. Nobody except tough old Ms. Moore would ever live next to the Line.
Nobody but Rachel and her mother, who went to live there after Rachel’s dad died in the last war. It’s a safe, quiet life. Until Rachel finds a mysterious recorded message that can only have come from Away. The voice is asking for help.
Who sent the message? Why is her mother so protective? And to what lengths is Rachel willing to go in order to do what she thinks is right?


I loved the set up of this book. The uncrossable line between two places. It brought to mind fairy tales. A foreign, forbidden, other world  hidden from view and unreachable, until the time is right. Contrasting with the brutal restrictions of the world the characters inhabit.

Rachel is a lovely main character. I instantly warmed to her, understanding her fascination with The Line, her longing for something more and her determination to do the right thing. Her mum and employer, Mrs Moore, are also interesting characters. Both surprised me, and it was great to see so many strong female characters.

 Teri Hall has created a very real world. Unlike many dystopian novels, we learn exactly how things came to be as they are. Although I really loved this, the way it was presented, history lessons between Rachel and her Mom, did slow the action.

The last third of the book is amazing; exciting, fast paced and riveting. It almost feels like book begins in the wrong place.

The Line is the first book is a series, and the world and characters have been well set up. I shall definitely be picking up Book Two, Away.

Thanks to Around the World Tours for the book.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...now I'm kind of sorry I gave my ARC away in a contest before I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds great, Alexa! I'll add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joelle - Yes I think you'd like this one. Rachel and Molly would be friends :)

    Kim - Good. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D