Friday, 20 November 2009

Shannon Hale at Politics and Prose

I have never read any of Shannon Hale's books, although I've heard how fabulous they are, so I was in two minds about going to her singing at Politics and Prose. When I told my friend Kim though, she said I had to go and that Shannon Hale was a brilliant speaker.

So I did.

And Kim was completely right.

Shannon Hale was excellent. If you ever get the chance to hear her speak, do. She's so engaging and energetic. I went to her morning appearance, which included two school parties, and she completely captivated the kids.

Her talk was one of the funniest I've been too and she was really positive and encouraging to the children as well. They really responded to her questions, as well, which made for a great atmosphere.

As well as talking about her books and where she gets her ideas (fairy tales & what ifs) she talked a lot about her writing journey and how long it took her to get published. I loved that she had kept all her rejection letters and laminated them. It was a great visual message (she rolled them out across the store) not to give up on your dreams.

I bought Book of a Thousand days which along with Princess Academy seemed to be a firm favourite among the girls present. For once I had a camera and remembered to use it, so here is Shannon, me and the baby (at his third book signing!)




Doesn't she have fabulous hair! I love that colour.

Thanks for a great event Shannon and Politics & Prose.

Shannon also has a really great blog Squeetus and her new book is Forest Born

5 comments:

  1. One of the (few) down sides of living in small city Canada is the lack of opportunities like this - I don't know if we've ever had a book signing. Sounds like a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Love Hale's books. Never heard her speak though - I'll have to experience there. You chose two of my top three favorites of her books. Add Goose Girl and you'll have the three best - in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D