Monday, 26 October 2009

Scott Westerfeld and Robin Wasserman

Last Thursday I went to see Scott Westerfeld and Robin Wasserman talk about their new books, Leviathan and Crashed at Politics & Prose.

I nearly didn't go as they were talking at 4.30pm, a danger time for the baby. I'm so glad I did though, because it was fabulous.

Scott shared illustrations from Leviathan. They're by Keith Thompson and are utterly beautiful. I want to frame them and put them on my wall.

Here's one of the main characters Deryn Sharp on a jelly fish balloon.


Scott also told us about the research he did for Leviathan and where he got the ideas from. He also gave a brief and funny over view of how WW1 began. Apparently Britain didn't want to be left out.




Scott was completely engaging. His presentation made me want to go and read more about WW1, Darwin and the Victorian Era, as well as Leviathan! And I really think we should start illustrating books again.

I thought Robin would have a harder time with the slide show, having no illustrations in her book but she had found lots of pictures to illustrate where the idea for Crashed came from. It's very, very scary.

Robin also shared a photo of herself (she was very cute, if a little oddly dressed!) from the time she published her first book, an ET rip off. She was very funny and interesting. Although I am slightly worried she'll be on the Robots side in the coming Robot Wars!

It was a great afternoon, if you get the chance to hear them speak jump at it. If not I highly recommend you check out Leviathan and Crashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D