Thursday, 5 November 2009

Cover Wars Uglies by Scott Westerfeld


This week the UK and US versions of Scott Westerfeld's Uglies are squaring off.

For the US we have



This cover is so well known and with good reason, it's utterly gorgeous. The minute I saw it I wanted to pick it up. I love the colours and way the girl is peering out but you can't see all her face. I wondered what she was looking at. I like the font they used too, very regimented and exact.

For the UK we have



Good God! What did Scott Westerfeld do to get stuck with this? Do they hate him in the UK or something?

That was my initial reaction to this cover. It freaks me out, which I guess is the point.

Once I'd got past my initial horror I could see that it's actually a very clever cover. If you've read Uglies you know it fits the book perfectly. Still I could not have this on my bookshelf. I'd have nightmares of mutant Barbies attacking me in the night.

But clever as it is I just hate it so this weeks winner is the USA!

Which makes
UK 2
USA 1

Which do you like best?


The winner of Fire will be announced later today. I need to count up all the entries before randomly selecting.

6 comments:

  1. The UK one. It's very creepy and sci-fi esque. It makes you think of something totally weird happening. Kind of like a pop version of Brave New World. The US version just looks like it could be any chick lit/YA book. Put a cute girl on the cover but obscure her face a little, or show her from behind or just her arms. It feels formulaic, whereas the UK one feels original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Yep, US hands down this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadako - It's seriously creepy!

    Nymeth - Yup :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I particularly like either of them. I always dislike covers with cover models on them, but at the same time, the UK one is just jarringly creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo...I think I might actually like the UK one best. I had no idea it looked like that!

    I read the first 3 books in this series and really enjoyed them. There's a fourth book, too, isn't there? I'm off to Amazon to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kim: yeah, it's called Extras. It's more a spin off than a 4th book, really.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D