Tuesday, 22 September 2009

Old friends, New Friends

The characters in my novel are like house guests who have out stayed their welcome. I love them to bits andi want to spend time with them but I also need a break.

I'm just worried that if I take a break and go make some new friends I'll lose them. They'll drift away and never come back.

Which is why, while I've been editing, I've resisted starting anything new because I'm not ready to say a permanent goodbye to these people.

Luckily Lady Glam and the gang at The Literary Lab launched Genre Wars, a short story contest. It was the perfect solution.

I didn't think I could write a short story but then this time last year I didn't think I could write a novel. So I tried and I loved it.

I've written three stories in eight days and had so much fun. Being able to just write something new and let my imagination fly again has been such a buzz. I feel completely revitalized and because I know it's not the start of something big I've been playing around trying things I couldn't keep up for a whole novel but I can for 2000 words.

And the best part is that spending time with these new people has made me love and appreciate those old friends.

If you want to take part in The Literary Lab's Genre Wars you can find all the details here.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome to hear! And wow, you're writing fast! I wish I could all your stuff, but I'm guessing your sending some over to the contest. :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D