Monday, 21 September 2009

Book Review - Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

What it's about

Auden doesn't sleep, well not at night anyway, and she doesn't have fun either. Until she spends the summer with her father and his new family. There she makes new friends, including the mysterious Eli, and with their help experiences the childhood she never had.


What I thought


While Along for the Ride doesn't quite live up to The Truth about Forever, it's a charming story. I liked Auden and I enjoyed her road to self discovery. Her blossoming romance with Eli is sweetly done, I was rooting for them. The cast of supporting characters are also brilliant. As with TTAF I found I was as interested in Auden's friends and family as I was in her. The strong supporting characters are part of what put Sarah Dessen's book in a different sphere. Lots of authors do good romances but friends and family come out flat.

The other thing is her genius for creating worlds, characters and situations that feel so real and true. I loved my nightly forays into Auden's world. Dessen also manages to take all the small, everyday things that happen to a person and show how they can completely change the direction they're going in.

I listened to this book and it's perfectly suited to audio. Rachel Botchan does an excellent job and sounded exactly how I would have imagined Auden.



5 comments:

  1. I loved this book as well. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Sarah Dessen and really enjoyed Along For The Ride, but it's not my favorite of her novels! The Truth About Forever was great -- very moving -- and I really, really loved Just Listen... that one's probably my favorite!

    Still, you're right that Dessen has an extreme talent for finding an appropriate mix between romance and family dynamics... that's one of the things I love most about her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. S. Krishna - thanks.

    Meg - I loved The Truth about Forever, I just thought it was wonderful. I'm currently listening to Just Listen and loving it. Kind of makes me want to pick my husband up from work go to the carwash :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Dessen is truly masterful in creating a rich and deep cast of characters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daisy - She's just amazing, every single character is just so vivid and real! And I love how she has characters from previous books make cameo appearances. I'm going to do that, you know when I write more than one book ;)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D