Thursday, 24 September 2009

Audio Books: Do you love them or loathe them?

I was never really a fan of audio books. Since I learned to read fast enough to satisfy my desire to find out what happens next, I've preferred reading to be a solitary activity.

But since having the baby I've discovered audio books.

Some books are perfectly suited to this medium. I loved Along for the Ride and am currently deep in Annabelle's world in Just Listen (it's the only thing that gets me on the treadmill). Sarah Dessen's books just seem to be made for audio. It feel like a friend is telling you their story.

I also loved The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and Good Book by David Plotz on audio. Both authors read them and do an amazing job.

Specials by Scott Westerfeld left me cold though. I read Uglies and Pretties and fell in love with the characters and the world. I just couldn't listen to Specials, I had to go and buy the hard copy. I'm not sure whether it was because I was too desperate to find out what happened next or whether I just didn't like the reader. Her voice did vex me, maybe someone else would have kept me gripped.


Question: What are the best books you've listened too? Go on help me increase my To be listened to pile.

5 comments:

  1. I love, love, love the audio of The Graveyard Book. It's how I discovered Neil Gaiman. I've since listened to any of his books that he has narrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been able to get into audio books for some reason, but I think it was because of a lousy narrator. I know that a few other bloggers rave about audio books, so will have to give them another chance.

    Check out J.Kaye's book blog, as I know that she reviews audio books.

    Thanks for the suggestions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it totally depends oh who does the voices in the audio. "The Book Thief" is FANTASTIC on audio. If you haven't read the book then it is a great option. I also really loved Harry Potter on audio. I drive A LOT, so I listen to audio in the car. Those are the audio books that stand out the most in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zia - I shall have to look at more Neil Gaiman books and see which he narrates.

    Alexia - thanks for the tip

    Aimee - I loved the book thief I may listen to it on audio. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've fallen in love with audiobooks this year, too. I always used to think it would be too slow and boring to listen to an audiobook, but now I always listen every night before bed. I'm currently rereading the Harry Potter books by listening to them in audio. I also discovered a great mystery series with a really wonderful narrator. The series is the John Ceepak series, by Chris Grabenstein, and the first book in the series is Tilt-a-Whirl.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D