Wednesday, 6 May 2009

Review - Suite Scarlett

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson.

Description:
Scarlett is the third of four children in the Martin family. The Martins live in and manage a shabby hotel in NYC that dates back to the 1920s. When Scarlett turns 15, she is put in charge of one of the hotel's 27 rooms- the Empire Suite. Into this room moves Mrs. Amberson, a failed 1970s starlet who has returned to New York to write her memoirs. Soon, Scarlett is taking dictation, running around town with Mrs. Amberson, and getting caught up in her Auntie Mame-meets-Bianca Jagger adventures.

In the midst of all this, Scarlett falls in love - or so she thinks - and it takes Mrs. Amberson to help her see the light.
(from Goodreads)


Review:

This is my first Maureen Johnson book. Although I did read her short story in Let it Snow, and loved it.

Suite Scarlett is funny and fast paced and full of great characters. I loved the relationships between Scarlett and her siblings, sweetheart Spencer, beautiful Lola and recovering cancer patient Marlene. They felt very real and made me want a to have lots of children just so they could enjoy a similar bond (I'm sure that'll wear off though).

Mrs Amberson is also a great character, quirky and annoying and bewitching. I'd quite like to grow up to be her. Well for a day or so at least.

I'm looking forward to more Martin family adventures in Scarlett Fever.

Also I really loved that The Algonquin got a name check. I stayed there last time I was in New York. It's gorgeous and had a white cat sitting on the front desk. I'm not sure why they give you an apple when you arrive though. Chocolate would be better.

Some photos:

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

The wall paper in the corridor is New Yorker Cartoons.

IMG_0147.JPG

Each door has a quote by Dorothy Parker.

4 comments:

  1. I like the name of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished this one recently too, and I really liked it. :) Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fun. I always wanted to live in a hotel when I was younger. Well, after reading Eloise, who didn't, am I right?

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D