Friday, 15 May 2009

Book Review: Evernight by Claudia Gray


Evernight by Claudia Gray.

Description: Evernight

Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.

"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."

But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed
.

Review: I picked Evernight in the library. Partly because of the cover partly because it was in the "If you like Twilight" display.

One Hundred pages in and I liked it. It was entertaining but it wasn't a "I can't put it down book. You have to read this!" type book though.

Then around page 120 everything changes and I don't think it left my hands until I'd finished it.

I have read reviews that have criticized the twist saying it makes Bianca an unreliable narrator. I loved it though. It completely caught me off guard and that rarely happens when I'm reading.

I ordered the sequel straight away and devoured it too.

4 comments:

  1. Unreliable narrator? Cool! I have this on my shelf. Gotta read it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I do love twists! I'll keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a perfect summer read for the beach! I'm going to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenore - Hope you enjoy it.

    Kelly - It's a good twist, I thought so anyway.

    Linda Jacobs - Yes it would make a great beach read.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D