Monday, 6 April 2009

Book Review Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Description: Francesca battles her mother, Mia, constantly over what’s best for her. All Francesca wants is her old friends and her old school, but instead Mia sends her to St. Sebastian’s, an all-boys’ school that has just opened its doors to girls. Now Francesca’s surrounded by hundreds of boys, with only a few other girls for company. All of them weirdos—or worse.

Then one day, Mia is too depressed to get out of bed. One day turns into months, and as her family begins to fall apart, Francesca realizes that without her mother’s high spirits, she hardly knows who she is. But she doesn’t yet realize that she’s more like Mia than she thinks. With a little unlikely help from St. Sebastian’s, she just might be able to save her family, her friends, and—especially—herself. (From Goodreads)

Review: I completely fell in love with this book. As soon as I finished, I went on Amazon and bought it. I know I'll read it many more times and each time probably find something new to appreciate between it's covers.

I got it out the library because Ana of Young Adult Romance Reviews posted this quote in her Hot Moments series.

>em>Will Trombal sees me from the other side of the room and he grins and he makes a beeline for me and my mind is buzzing with the best opening.

Hi.
Hey.
How's it going?
Great party.
Love your shirt.
Great music.
Crap music.

And he's coming closer and closer and the way he's looking at me makes me think that I'm going to have the most romantic night in the history of my life. I open my mouth to say something and he sticks his tongue down my throat.

We're in a corner, pashing, and I don't even know what's got me to this point. A look in a corridor? A flirt outside my nonna's house? All I know is that no one exists around us. I don't know whether we're kissing for five minutes or five hours and my mouth feels bruised, but I can't let go. Because it feels so good to be held...Will's arms tremble as they hold me and his heart beats hard against me and I know that whatever I'm feeling is mutual. For a moment I taste the alcohol on his breath, and it brings me back to reality.

"Do that sober and I'll be impressed," I say before walking away.

Not only hot but intriguing too. The contrast between how he kisses her and the fact that he's trembling had me interested. I wanted to know what was going on between these two. I also loved Francesca's parting line. I thought she was a character I'd enjoy and I was right.

I'm hard pressed to say exactly why I love this book so much. I could make a list; the writing is brilliant, I liked Francesca's voice and her search for who she is, I liked her almost romance with Will, her friends and family are realistic and funny, the subject of depression is well handled, it was nice to see a family that actually cared about each other and liked each other, the reader is allowed to draw their own conclusions about things, it's both funny and sad and romantic.

All the above made me love the book but there is something else too, that certain magic that the best books have.

So I highly recommend you read it and if you have read it leave me a comment and I'll link to you.

5 comments:

  1. This really sounds amazing. I want both this and Jellicoe Road. Melina Marchetta sounds like an author I should be reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nymeth - I'm kind of nervous to read Jellicoe Road. I can't imagine it being as good. But yes, she is definitely an author to look out for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Melina Marchetta! Definitely read Jellicoe Road it's amazing, these 2 are my favorites.

    I recently had a comp on my blog prize being an personalized autographed Melina Marchetta book of winner's choice. Unfortunately no one entered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angelica Joy - I can't believe no one entered :( I have Jellicoe Road from the library, looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed that book. I read it when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D