Monday, 16 February 2009

Sunday Salon - Falling in love

It's Valentine's weekend so time to speak of love, hearts and all things pink. My favourite books have romance in them somewhere. Whether it is the main focus, a subplot or just a hint of what might happen when the story is over.

My favourite types of romantic connection are friendship growing into love or two people who can't stand each other, suddenly finding that line between love and hate really is very thin. Although I am also a sucker for that different kind of connection, like Iris and Alex in The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox.

All my crushes from my teenage years (and from my now years) have been on book characters. I can appreciate a sweeping love story on film (Rhett and Scarlet, Jack and Rose) but I generally prefer to be reading about it. When I was younger and all my friends were swooning over Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder or Jonny Depp in Don Juan Demarco. I was completely head of heels with Mr Darcy and this guy call Roaul from a series of completely wonderful books set in the French Revolution*.

I like the build up you get in a book, I like that you get inside the heads of the characters, I like that you only get a vague idea of what the hero looks like. I like the commentary on speech and action. In books there is so much more time to develop the relationship, for the characters to have conversations and get to know each other.

So romance for me will always be far stronger between the pages than on the screen.

* Please tell me the name of these books if you remember them because I simply adored them. They centured around a girl called Caro, who was an orphan and for some reason her cousin (Anthony?) taught her how to fence. Then they got trapped at her french cousins house during the start of the French Revolution and she cut all her hair off and pretended to be a boy to get back to England. Then she became a female Scarlet Pimpernel and her nemesis, who of course fell in love with her, was called Raoul and was the illegitimate son of a French Lord and so was on the revolutionaries side. Then in book four they all went off to Arabia. They were very, very good or maybe very bad but I loved them.

7 comments:

  1. If you find out what those books were, tell me! I want to read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my lasting crushes have been literary as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady Glam - I wish I could remember the names!

    Michelle - Literary crushes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, they sound great! I love the Scarlet Pimpernel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could help with the books you're looking for! Hope you find them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana - I am wracking my brains, I can see the cover but the title will not come.

    Nymeth - me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way. I had the biggest crush on clark gable(still do), warren beaty, and other film stars, but my most lasting loves have been with fictional characters. Now that I think about it, that's kind of pathetic. haha ;)
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D