Thursday, 5 February 2009

Book Review - The Inkheart Trilogy - Cornelia Funke

I did enjoy these three books but I didn't love them the way other people seem too. I also kept thinking "it would be so much better if this happened", which I rarely do with books I tend to accept the story and world the author has created.

To sort out my mixed reaction I wrote this review slightly differently, listing things I liked and things I wasn't so keen on.

Things I liked

1) The premise. I mean what avid reader couldn't love the idea of disappearing into a favourite book or having beloved characters pop out of them.

2) Dustfinger. He was far and away the most interesting character and the only one I felt achieved any kind of growth during the trilogy.

3) Mo and Meggie's relationship - I loved the Father/daughter bond. It was nice to see a happy family relationship where they loved and liked each other.

4) Elinor. I did like her a lot and can't wait to see Dame Helen potraying her in the film.

5) The Inkworld. All the magical things that live there and fabulous creatures, it was very inventive and the whole world was beautifully built.

Things I didn't like

1) No main character. I thought Meggie was the main character but by book three we were jumping around like crazy between different people and I really would have preferred one clear story to follow.

2) Orphens. In childrens books I do prefer it if the main character is orphened or somehow removed from their parents. I felt there was too much adult led action and would have preferred Meggie to be more active.

3) Meggie's love life. It all happened off stage! other characters kept telling us about it but we never really saw any interaction between them. I just felt they were in love because they were the only characters the right age. While I liked how it ended I'd still have liked to see more actual conversation.

4) The dead coming back to life. I've always hated this as a plot device. I hated it in Heroes, In Buffy, in the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe. Death should mean death even in a book, otherwise there's no fear. It's why I totally loved J K Rowling for letting Dumbledore be really dead.


So I didn't hate them but I didn't love them. What did you think? Let me know if you've reviewed them (or comment here) because I'd love to hear other people's thoughts

4 comments:

  1. Interesting review. I've been wanting to read these books but sometimes it feels like I'll never get around to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting review. I've been wanting to read these books but sometimes it feels like I'll never get around to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read Inkheart, but I felt the exact same way...I liked it, but I didn't love it like I expect to. I want to read the rest of the series at some point, but I'm in no rush.

    I'm not a fan of the dead coming back to life either. It always feels like cheating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello


    Affordable health insurance quotes for family, individual and self employed.
    Providing free medical insurance quotes for over 30 years using quality carriers such as Assurant Health, Medica, HealthPartners

    http://www.healthinsurance-quotes.org

    Best regards
    sedor

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D