Tuesday, 3 February 2009

Book Review - Graceling by Kristin Cashore

slj0902_FeatRom_Cashore.jpg


Gracelings are gifted and special and easily identifiable by their mismatched eyes. Katsa has one blue eye and one green and a particularly fearsome grace, the grace of killing; which her Uncle, King Randa of Middluns makes use of by using her as his assassin and torturer.

But Katsa despises her Grace and the role her Uncle has cast her in and looks for some way to redress the balance of what she does in his service. In doing so she meets Po, a Lienid Prince graced with fighting skills and her life changes completely.

I loved this book and couldn't put it down. It's fast paced and exciting and Katsa is a great heroine, her growth in the novel and her journey towards self acceptance and control over her temper and grace are brilliantly handled. As for Po, what can I say, he's the perfect hero despite having his own demons to battle. I liked the fact that Gracelings can't hide their abilities because of their eyes, unlike many books about people with special powers or abilities, they have to deal with people prejudices as well as the extra burdan thier gifts may bring.

The torch caught the gold of one eye and the silve of the other. They were like the eyes of a cat, or a night creature of some kind . . .They looked at each for a moment. The flush began to rise into her neck again, and with it, a surging irritation. She'd grown far too used to peole avoiding her eyes.

I also loved how Cashore stayed true to her characters right to the end. The book ended perfectly and I'm hoping there is room for a sequel.

Read this book you won't be disappointed! And I totally agree with School Library Journal when they awarded it Most Likely to melt your fingers while reading because it is so hot in their Valentine day round up.

And I know I've already said it but that cover is just beautiful and perfect.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you really enjoyed this one! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this one...it's always nice to read the positive reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. S Krishna - do and I hope you like it

    Amy - I just completely fell in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fingers totally melted too! :) I loved this one, good to see you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D