Thursday, 4 December 2008

Yikes!

I have not reviewed a book since September! I am appalled with myself. So some very quick books reviews of my favourites from the last few months.

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Utterly gripping and intense, it drags you into it’s alternative world from the first page and makes everything there completely believable.

I was so tense the whole time I was reading it, seriously I know authors are meant to put their characters through hell and all but Suzanne Collins really does a number on Katniss, it just doesn’t stop for the poor girl.


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer

Strange name, excellent book. I wasn't sure about the concept as the whole book is told in letters but I absolutely loved it. It's set in occupied Guernsey during WWII and it really made the period come alive.


The Miracle at Speedy Motors - Alexander McCall Smith

I was getting kind of tired of these books but I think i read too many to close together becasue I liked this one. All AMS trademarks are here and it is a nice gentle tale.



His Dark Materials (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass) - Philip Pullman

This was a re-read and I can not say how much I ADORE these books (The Subtle Knife is my very favourite). The world Pullman creates is so rich in detail, his imagination is sweeping and his story telling skills amazing. I love the way he weaves so many big, important ideas into a incredibly exciting page turner. Read them, I guarantee if nothing else you'll want a demon!

More soon!

5 comments:

  1. I ADORE His Dark Materials as well. And I think The Subtle Knife is my favourite as well. I think I might just sit down over Christmas and reread them, it's about time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally loved the Guernsey book as well! I am reading another AMS book at the moment and you are definitely right about the fact that he has several trademarks, and writes very gentle tales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm over from Nathan Bransford's blog, and just wanted to tell you how much I liked your entry! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, over here from Nathan's blog, too. Great job, Alexa!

    Yours was my favorite. :)

    --MA

    ReplyDelete
  5. His Dark Materials is my all-time favourite fantasy series. And I totally want a daemon :P

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D