Thursday, 10 July 2008

Doomsday




One of my favorite bookstores burned down last weekend, and while I only got to visit there while I was on vacation, it made me stop and think.

What would you do if, all of a sudden, your favorite source of books was unavailable?

Whether it’s a local book shop, your town library, or an internet shop … what would you do if, suddenly, they were out of business? Devastatingly, and with no warning? Where would you go for books instead? What would you do? If it was a local business you would try to help out the owners? Would you just calmly start buying from some other store? Visit the library in the next town instead? Would it be devastating? Or just a blip in your reading habit?


I buy most of my books from Amazon after I've wandered round Barnes and Noble and decided what I want.

As both our big businesses I don't think I'd be that upset if they burned down. While I like the B&N I visit for it's location there are several others round the city that I could go to.


I wish I did have a little local bookshop where I knew the people and could talk about purchases and maybe have a coffee but I don't. It seems it's all big impersonal shops round me.

3 comments:

  1. Ditto for using Amazon.com. Sometimes I feel bad for not patronizing a smaller establishment, but hey, what can you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sad. Small bookstores are so intimate and homey. On the other hand, I live 2 or more hours from a Borders or B&N and sometimes yearn to just walk around and browse all those books.

    I guess we're never happy, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally spoiled as I have many book stores, libraries, and friends with books to loan close at hand.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D