Friday, 18 July 2008

Vacations



Another question inspired by the Bunch of Grapes on Martha’s Vineyard having burned down on the Fourth of July.

Do you buy books while on vacation/holiday?

Do you have favorite bookstores that you only get to visit while away on a trip?

What/Where are they?

I’m still devastated about the Bunch of Grapes, even though I usually only got to visit it once or twice a year–it was such a vital part of my trips to Martha’s Vineyard. Its (hopefully temporary) loss won’t affect my day-to-day book habits, but it was such a wonderful store on one of my favorite places. Stopping there was such a strong tradition, and I’m going to miss it as part of my vacations. But it made me think–I always buy books when I’m away from home. They’re as much of a trip-souvenir as any t-shirt or trinket. Better, even! And it occurs to me that I can’t be the only one of us who does that, huh?


I don't, I tend to take all my books with me, upping the weight of my luggage considerably.

Not really but when I go home I always rush to Waterstone's and Books Etc in London. They aren't any better than Barnes and Noble and Borders they are just familiar. Although they do often do 3 for 2 offers which i think B&N should consider! I also check out Tesco and Asda as they have amazing deals on books.


1 comment:

  1. Ah, the word "familiar" is the best thing about a bookstore back home.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D