Sunday, 8 June 2008

WG 5 - Story Telling

I've been super busy, stressed and not reading blogs so I was going to skip straight to this No 7 of Weekly Geeks but I just had to answer this question!

This week’s theme was suggested by Renay. She says, “I thought it would be cool to ask people to talk about other forms of story-telling.”

Good television is story telling at it's best. There are some truly amazing shows with wonderful characterisation and fabulous story arcs that keep you hooked and dying for the next episode. Lost, House, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Heroes, Life on Mars and my personal favourite Battlestar Galactica.

I've heard people dismiss BG as a boys programme about space battles. No, no, no! It is so much more than that.

The first series had the human race all but wiped out, fleeing from the cylons. It gave us clear people to identify with and an enemy to hate. Then it turned everything upside down and raised questions about what it means to be human. Nothing is black and white in BG and everyone is flawed.

Particular Giaus Baltar who is one of my all time favourite characters. He is cowardly, manipulative, self centred and weak but brilliant and compelling and his relationship with Six is wonderful.

Relationships are something that BG handles incredibly well. There are so many confused and fractured and muddled up relationships between friends, lovers, fathers and sons and comrades.

It really is an excellent show and is story telling at it's best. It puts it's damaged, searching characters through all kinds of hell and lets us see what they're made of. Go netflick it for the summer holidays you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D