Sunday, 15 June 2008

Sunday Salon - Shocks and Links

I'm nearing the end of Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones. I have loved this book so much but something just happened, something so shocking and stomach churning, I had to take a break. I don't know why but I am still amazed by the power words and stories have to upset me. I'm hoping there will be an uplifting resolution, if not I'll have to read a happy book next.

********

The Host, Stephanie Meyer's latest arrived on Friday from Amazon. I ordered it because it is Becky's book club read for July but I don't know if I can keep my hands off it. It's siren call is getting stronger and stronger, I might have to hide it away in a draw.

********

Have you seen What's your story? on the Waterstone's site. They asked authors and the public to write their stories on a postcard. I loved the J K Rowling Harry Potter presequel, always fun to visit old friends. Neil Gaiman's was good too, amausing and clever. My favourite is Lauren Child's I adore her Charlie and Lola books and her style of writing.

*******

Finally I thought this was an interesting post about book trailers. I quite liked the trailer for Run but I'd rather choose my books by the cover and the title and recommendations of course. I do love soundtracks to books though. Many authors seem to be putting up soundtracks to their books on their blogs. Often when I hear a song it reminds me of a book "Look after you" by The Fray makes me think of Twilight and "Summer Skin" by Death Cub for Cutie brings to mind Hideous Kinky. It's interesting to hear what the authors connect to their books.

6 comments:

  1. I love the Waterstone's site! Thank you for the link.

    I enjoy watching book trailers, but like you, they really don't influence whether I will decide to read a book or not. I have to be interested in what the book is about. A pretty cover and a cute title aren't enough.

    Enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Book Trailer idea but like Film trailers you quickly sus out those with content and those with out
    This week's post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of a soundtrack for books. That might be something I could do with my high school students to get them more interested in the books they have to read. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know what you mean about Mr. Pip. I thought it was a great book but there were parts that were so hard to read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never see Waterstone's site. I will have to check it out. I'm very intrigued by Mister Pip and wondering what could have happened. Mybe I'll just have to pick up the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so you have me intrigued about Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D