Thursday, 19 June 2008

BTT - Flavor




Think about your favorite authors, your favorite books . . . what is it about them that makes you love them above all the other authors you’ve read? The stories? The characters? The way they appear to relish the taste of words on the tongue? The way they’re unafraid to show the nitty-gritty of life? How they sweep you off to a new, distant place? What is it about those books and authors that makes them resonate with you in ways that other, perfectly good books and authors do not?

Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

A great question and a hard question. Instead of looking at my all times favourite list I thought I'd compare three books that I've read this year and marked as favourites on Goodreads to see if there are any similarities.

Master Pip - Lloyd Jones

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - Maggie O'Farrell

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau - Banks - E Lockhart


On the face of it they are pretty different, but at the core they all contain the vital elements that make me love a book: strong characters who are trying to find out about themselves and the world, a great story line, excellent use of words, meaning wonderful quotes about life and love and everything else.

Then there's that special spark which I can't quite put my finger on. There was something about the characters in these books that spoke to me even though their lives were so very different from mine. That magic that some authors have just to grab you at the first word and not let go. It's a gift and a great one.

(if you've read nay of these books let me know what you thought in the comments or a link to your review - thanks.

7 comments:

  1. A great book is one where I can relate to the protagonist even if they are completely different from myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy a character driven book with an interesting story-line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like issue driven books. Author non-withstanding!

    Here is my BTT post

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I thought I was one of the few people who liked character driven plots. My BTT post is up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these books but your enthusiasm for them is rubbing off on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the characters too and when I read a book that has weak ones I feel the story is empty. I haven't read your examples but they sound very interesting. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D