Thursday, 12 June 2008

BTT - Clubbing



A combo of two suggestions by: Heidi and by litlove

Have you ever been a member of a book club? How did your group choose (or, if you haven’t been, what do you think is the best way to choose) the next book and who would lead discussion?

Do you feel more or less likely to appreciate books if you are obliged to read them for book groups rather than choosing them of your own free will? Does knowing they are going to be read as part of a group affect the reading experience?


Don’t forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don’t have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

I just recently joined a book group since moving to DC, it is made up of a group of other ex-pat Brits and we try to choose American authors, a mix of old and new. We make suggestions at the end of the session and then vote on the next book. If your suggestion gets chosen you lead the next discussion. It's very democratic!

It's made me read some books I would never have chosen on my own. It means leaving my comfort zone, which is a good thing.

I also took part in Becky's last online bookclub. Which was great as Becky asks really good questions that make you think about what you read.

Reading for a book club effects my reading only in that I note down things that particularly strike me or phrases I like. It's interesting to hear other people's opinions and what they noticed. I do always feel upset if someone hates a book I loved; it's like hearing they hate a good friend.

12 comments:

  1. I do agree that a much loved books is klike a best friend.

    Booking through clubbing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear that you joined a group that you're happy with. It always fun to read together with other and find interesting discussion.

    Happy BTTs, - have a good Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youronline bookclub sounds interesting-
    I'm going to give it a bash

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the comfort zone stuff... sometimes I feel it's good to read something outside our preference, who knows we might find something we like in the end? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you've had a very positive club experience. Your method of choosing books sounds great.

    I'll have to check out Becky's book club. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like discussing books and getting some new reads from online forums about books, but I don't think I'll be joining a book club anytime soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you've also had some great book club experiences. I hope to find, or create, a real book club (I run an online book club already) because I miss the interaction that come with readers in that type of setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky seems like she'd be a good book club leader :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes what do you do if you hate all the books they choose!

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  10. Consider joining my new online short story book club! I introduced it today in my BTT post...

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I do always feel upset if someone hates a book I loved; it's like hearing they hate a good friend." Absolutely! That is devastating!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always interested to hear what people think on books that I love or don't love too. Sometime, books that you don't love -- you can see the more better side of things when someone "see" something that I never thought about looking before. And then it make me think different about "something". Someone comments might sway me to change my thinking on certain book, OR it make me understand lot better of the reason why other like the book that I hate. I might not participate, but I like hearing people thoughts on it

    It wonderful that you found a bookclub that you like. And I hope it give you more pleasure in discussion many years from now :) Thanks for visiting my blog, have a good weekend ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D