Sunday, 18 May 2008

Sunday Salon - The End of the World

I finished Life as we knew it. I was trying to stick to the schedule on Becky's online reading group but then I got to chapter 14 yesterday and had to keep going. I loved this book, if you like end of the world scenarios then this book is for you. I think it will stay with me for a long time. I like to think in situations like this I would be brave and noble and good but you never know how you will react. I also keep making plans in my head, where would we go? how would we keep warm? find food? It's very thought provoking as well as being a great read.

Becky is hosting an End of the World challenge. I don't think I'm going to sign up as I have too many challenges going on already but some of her recommendation have made it on to my TBR list.

I also finished Looking for Alaska by John Green, which I can not recommend enough. Everyone really should read this book. I'm hoping to have more time this week to write a proper review of it and The Thirteenth Tale.

I'm really nervous to read John Green's new book though as I heard it wasn't as good. I hate being disappointed by second books. Have any of you read it?

Finally, Weekly Geeks is a good one this week. Choose a selection of books about a political or social issue that is important to you. This one needs some thought.

8 comments:

  1. I'm reading with Becky's Online Group too! :) I admire your control!! I didn't stop reading and feel terrible, like Miranda and the chocolate chips.

    I plan to read her next book...can't remember the title or the author, but I do remember it's an author I'd be wanting to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took on child abuse for the weekly geek post.

    And I am not reading for any challenges although I joined so many. I am reading for my own pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your Weekly Geeks post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed Life As We Knew It. I think you'll find it sticks with you long after you finish it. At least it has for me :)

    You should try to read The Dead and The Gone at some point if you get the chance :)

    I haven't read An Abundance of Katherines yet though it's in my tbr pile. I have the same fear--how can it measure up to Looking for Alaska--but at some point I'll just have to give it a go :)

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. J Kaye - LOL! well I lasted till Day 4 so not too bad but then I scoffed the book in one sitting :)
    GT - I'll be interested to see what books you select a tough topic.
    Andi - thanks got to choose a subject first :)
    Becky - I loved it and I know it will stay with me. I'll be interested to see what you make of John Green's latest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read An Abundance of Katherines before reading Looking for Alaska. I loved it at the time. It is not as...literary as Alaska, but in a lot of ways it is funnier. I don't think you will be too disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan - good to know. I was worried it would be too similar but not as good if you see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alix-
    I do know what you mean. Katherines also has a male protag who is intelligent but everything is quite different. Or maybe it seems that way to me having read the two books about 6 months apart.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D