Sunday, 18 May 2008

Looking For Alaska - Reviewed

Looking For Alaska - John Green

Rating 5/5

I can't say Looking for Alaska had me at hello but it was pretty close. It was actually page three and this line,

"So this guy," I said, standing in the doorway of the living room. "Francois Rabelais. He was this poet. And his last words were "I go to seek a Great Perhaps." That's why I'm going. So I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking a Great Perhaps."

Miles, a sixteen year old from Florida heads off to his Father's old boarding school in hope of finding himself and the great perhaps. Once there he gets rechristened Pudge and meets Chip (The Colonel), Takemi, Lara and Alaska. Most importantly funny, clever, messed up Alaska.

The First chapter is titled One Hundred and thirty Six days Before and subsequent chapters count down. So as Pudge relates his introduction to life at Culver Creek the readers sense of anticipation increases. The closer we get to day Zero the greater the tension and menace.

Green uses Pudge's religion class and own experiences to explore issues of grief, growth, love and forgiveness. At times it feels like we are living though the story with Pudge and at times it feels like he is narrating what happened from a more adult perspective.

I really do think everyone should read this book it's just perfect and I loved the end. It's so hopeful. I didn't see how John Green was going to leave me feeling satisfied after everything that happened but he did.

There is smoking, drinking, swearing and sex but there is in life and even if your aren't partaking you're aware of it. I wasn't offended by anything in it and I thought it was pretty realistic but just a warning in case.

If you have read it I'd love to read your review so link away on Mr Linky. If you haven't run out and buy a copy now!



8 comments:

  1. Sounds great, I'll add it to my list! I liked what you said about parts of the novel that might offend - these are parts of life, and novels would suffer if the censoring police got a hand at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne - Do it is great, so good. Glad you agree about the censoring, it;s life it should be in art and it's not gratuitous in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alix, I don't know this. What age group is it aimed at? Should I be directing our teenage reading group to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Table Talk - Yes you should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's on my list of to be read! sounds really good!

    I've tagged you for a meme if you feel like:)
    http://valentinasroom.blogspot.com/2008/05/meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been planning to read this book for a long time. Thanks for the review. I added a link to your review at my Saturday Review of Books (www.semicolonblog.com). Feel free to contribute anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valentina - It is excellent, enjoy. Thanks for the meme I do love them.

    Sherry - Thank you I will :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first John Green book I ever read and it's basically what got me hooked on reading. It's a fantastic book and you did a great job reviewing it :)

      Delete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D