Sunday, 27 April 2008

Sunday Salon - YA Book and fun blogs

I've been reading YA books this week, despite being well past the YA age range! I've really been enjoying them though, the ones I have read are well written, thoughtful and funny. I wish I'd had books like this to read as a teenager.

I've been trying to think back to what I was reading during my teenage years. The only good teen author form those days, that comes to mind, is Judy Blume. I do remember my whole class being obsessed with Sweet Valley High and Point Horror but they aren't the kind of books that commented on life and normal teen experiences or made you think at all. On a side note I've been loving reading views of the new updated SVH books, featuring the perfect size four twins, what not size Zero??

In other news I have signed up for Weekly Geeks which looks like it will be lots of fun.

I'm also taking part in Becky's Book Club. During May we will be reading and talking about Life as we knew it by Susan Beth Pfeffer. Sounds like a lot of fun and if you want to take part go and sign up here.

9 comments:

  1. Your post made me think about what I read when I was a "young adult," and I can't remember much! I don't think there was very much good fiction written for that age group back then (the late 60's early 70's).

    I think I just went directly from children's books to adult books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No there really wasn't even in the 80's I went straight from children's to adult books. I really wish I could have read some books that dealt with what I was going through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've recently read the Twilight series and The Book Thief and don't recall any books like those when I was a YA - I'm enjoying them now and would have liked to have read such books back then!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always reading young adult fiction. I taught it at University for twenty years because there is so much out there that is so good it deserves to be a University subject. At the moment I'm reading my way through the short list for this year's Carnegie award and what I'm reading at present is considerably better than a lot of the adult fiction I've recently read for publishers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love YA Booksl. Recently, I just finished a book called Bitter Tastes, by Victoria Rosendahl.
    It's a story about a girl trying to fit into her new school but can't because of her secret.
    If you like Nancy Drew, you'll love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found the website for the story Bitter Tastes by Victoria Rosendahl.
    Check it out it's great!
    http://www.bittertastes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs S - oh me too.
    TableTalk - I must check that list and I completely agree with you about YA being better than a lot of regular fiction.
    J .Kaye - cool
    Chrissy - Thanks for the link:)

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D