Friday, 25 April 2008

Springing


Well, here where I live, Spring is sprung–weeks early, even. Our lilac bush looks like it will have flowers by this time next week instead of in the middle of May as usual. The dogwood trees, the magnolia trees–all the flowering trees are flowering. The daffodils and crocuses are, if anything, starting to fade. It may only be April 24th but it is very definitely Spring and, allergies notwithstanding, I’m happy to welcome the change of season. What I want to know, is:

Do your reading habits change in the Spring? Do you read gardening books? Even if you don’t have a garden? More light fiction than during the Winter? Less? Travel books? Light paperbacks you can stick in a knapsack?

Or do you pretty much read the same kinds of things in the Spring as you do the rest of the year?


I was going to say no but actually it depends on the book. I am having a very hard time getting into The Thirteenth Tale, although I can tell it is the kind of book I will love, because I feel like I should be curled in front of a fire with rain lashing the window while I read it. Some books are definitely meant for winter and some for summer. We are due thunderstorm at the weekend, so that should help!

4 comments:

  1. Now our lilac bushes don't even look as if they have given blooming so much as a passing thought. Oh well, they'll be there to enjoy that much later than usual, won't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stopping by from Weekly Geeks. It looks like we have very similar reading tastes - can't wait to read some of your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, I find curling up with a good book is most satisfying when its lashing it down with rain or snow outside! Sitting outside in the sun is nice, but I usually need sunglasses to get past the reflection of the sun off the page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Table Talk- I hope so you never know with UK weather though!
    Somer - Thanks for dropping by, hope you enjoy them :)
    Mariel - Fires, bad weather and good books do seem to go together.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D