Sunday, 27 April 2008

Scambled Eggs at Midnight - Reviewed

Scrambled Eggs at Midnight - Brad Barkley and Heather Hepler

Rating 3/5
Part of the YA Challenge


Cal and Eliot both come from eccentric families. Cal's Mum is trying to find herself and moves them from place to place so regularly nowhere ever feels like home. Eliot's Dad runs a religious fat camp - What would Jesus eat?. They are both searching for something and find it in each other.

Told in alternating chapters by Cal and Eliot we get to see both their perspectives on their blossoming relationship. I really enjoyed the book and it had some wonderful descriptions and some quirky characters, which I always enjoy.

I liked the portrayal of first love and the way we bond or fail to bond with our parents. I much preferred Eliot's chapters to Cal's though and would have preferred the whole book to have been from his point of view. Also the ending was very sudden, all the loose ends got nicely tied up.

It is a good read though so I do recommend it. Here are a few favourite quotes:

"for that moment there is no up or down, just the falling, and it's everything I want, everything I have always wanted my whole life . . .And all I want is to let go into it and for it not to be that other kind of falling, the kind that will break five vertebrate in my back and neck or crush me under the weight of my own heart."

"We are quiet but this time it's the dark blue kind, the midnight kind, the sink-in-until-you-lose-yourself kind."

"You don't have to be beautiful to be seen, you just have to be seen as beautiful, by someone, by one person. Mom lost that person when The Dad fell in love with God and the money. She feel in, fell out, and it doesn't matter anymore, because the person you had to catch you at the bottom is no longer there."

3 comments:

  1. I like the quotes you picked; they are very poetically written!

    I read quite a few YA novels since I teach high school and like to be able to recommend books to the kids. I just started The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti. I've enjoyed her other books and this one seems to be another keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like a fun one. i'm adding it to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love love love this book! :)
    i liked eliots chapters a lot better than cal's too, but i did really like how cal connected different moods with colors

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D