Sunday, 13 April 2008

Breaking all the rules

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart.

Rating 5/5


The cover made me stop and pick this book up.

It's a fabulous cover.

The back of an envelope sealed shut with red wax; on which is stamped the image of a basset hound. The title is great too. I flicked it open and was sold.

The story lived up to the promise of the cover, title and blurb. I loved it.

It's Frankie's coming of age story, she's finding out who she is and who she wants to be. She's making choices and living with the consequences.

As with Stargirl, the other young adult book I read recently, there are lots of messages about being true to yourself, challenging the conventional rules and being who you want to be rather than who others want you to be. E. Lockhart conveys the message in more more accessible and realistic way.

Frankie is a great character; with a very strong voice. I was completely engaged in her story and rooting for her all the way. She's a girl of today and even though she breaks all the rules she's still a role model.
There were so many things I loved about this book: Frankie's refusal to not be excluded from the boys activities; the paper on The Suicide club; the idea of the panopticon; the secret society; the pranks; the references to P G Wodehouse; the playing with words - nocuous, the positive of innocuous.

I'm really hoping this is the start of a series and we'll see more of Frankie. For now though I'll be rushing out to buy E. Lockhart's other books.

To read the blurb that hooked me and a excerpt go here.

2 comments:

  1. i'm adding this one to my to-read list! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison - let me kow what you think. Hope you love it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D