Thursday, 27 March 2008

Cover-Up

This week’s question comes from Julie, who asks:

While acknowledging that we can’t judge books by their covers, how much does the design of a book affect your reading enjoyment? Hardcover vs. softcover? Trade paperback vs. mass market paperback? Font? Illustrations? Etc.?


I love the sensation of opening a brand new book, with crisp unturned pages and a shiny beautiful cover. Holding and smelling a brand new book is a definite pleasure. However, the story is really the thing, so if what is on the inside transports me to another place the outside really is immaterial to my enjoyment.

I am notorious for judging books by their covers. A very bad habit I know. I am sure I have missed out on lots of books I would have loved. I can overcome my dislike of a cover only when everyone round me has raved about a book so much I feel I have to read it. Two classic cases Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell and The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It works the other way too I have been seduced into buying some truly terrible books by their beautiful covers.

For more answers go here

5 comments:

  1. And some of the best books have ugly covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose because I rarely buy books but rather order them from the library after a recommendation without having seen the cover I've got used to not taking very much notice. After all, if I was to say to the librarian, oh I don't want it now that you've taken the trouble to get it for me because the cover's no good they'd give me very short shrift indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose because I rarely buy books but rather order them from the library after a recommendation without having seen the cover I've got used to not taking very much notice. After all, if I was to say to the librarian, oh I don't want it now that you've taken the trouble to get it for me because the cover's no good they'd give me very short shrift indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same way with covers. Some good books, some I set down after very little time. Being online has helped me to increase the number of books found because of great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm a book cover snob too and like you mentioned, some of the worst books I've ever read had the nicest covers. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D