Friday, 8 February 2008

Inkheart

Inkheart - Cornelia Funke

Rating 3/5

Read for the 888 challenge


Meggie's father, Mo can read characters out of books into the real world and read people from the real world into stories. What fabulous concept! Which bookaholic wouldn't love to be able to drop into their favourite story or have a well loved character standing in your living room? The only problem is Mo can't control who comes out and who goes in. Nine years ago Meggie's mother disappeared into Inkheart and a villain called Capricorn, his henchman Basta and Dustfinger, a fire eater, came out.

I expected to adore this novel but actually found it quite hard going. After an exciting beginning the plot meanders along and the same things keep happening. The main character Meggie isn't very captivating and the villain of the piece, the dreaded Capricorn, isn't that scary.

The most engaging character is Dustfinger, torn between helping Meggie and Mo and getting himself back into the pages of his story. Farid was also interesting and I hope will have a bigger part to play in the next book.

I did enjoy the book. It is a good story and Cornelia Funke loves books and many passages will have book lovers nodding their heads in agreement.

"Look at this Meggie!" he had whispered when he showed her the sheet of paper. "What an artist I am, eh? Is there anything in the world better than words on the page? Magic signs, the voices of the dead, building blocks to make wonderful worlds better than this one, comforters, companions in loneliness. Keepers of secrets, speakers of truth. . . all those glorious words."

It might have been a better story if Meggie had been the one reading people in and out of the books, so there was less adult involvement. There is a sequel Inkspell which I have heard is much more fast paced and interesting. I will be reading it to find out what happens next.

4 comments:

  1. i saw your rating on goodreads, so i had to find out more about how this one didn't met your expectations. i've heard good things about it - and i'm planning to read it this year - but i guess i won't set my expectations too high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison - I'd heard lots of good things about it too but it just wasn't that great. I have bought Inkspell though so I'll see if it is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the second book much better than the first. I think it was because the first required so much set up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JSS - Glad to hear it, looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D