Thursday, 14 February 2008

After the Honeymoon



Here’s something for Valentine’s Day.

Have you ever fallen out of love with a favorite author? Was the last book you read by the author so bad, you broke up with them and haven’t read their work since? Could they ever lure you back?


Jilly Cooper, I adored her first novels Riders, Rivals, Polo, The Man who made Husbands Jealous and then she started to get a bit too much. The same stories got recycled always featuring Rupert Campbell-Black - still the most handsome man is Britain. Really? come on! He must be about 60 by now. Are ALL women still falling at his feet? It's time to find new characters but ones who are fun not obnoxious like Emerald and Abby. I didn't buy the last book, maybe if she returns to the world of horses I'll buy the next one.


I am also beginning to fall out of Love with Diana Gabaldon. I did buy the last book but I really feel she needs to say goodbye to Jamie and Claire. I realise this must be hard and I do love them but how much longer can their story continue? Also her editor needs to intercede a bit and cut the word count, I could barely lift A Breath of Snow and Ashes. the Lord John books sound interesting though so I will keep buying her.

6 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about Jilly Cooper, her books were always good fun and she was a humerous, clever writer, but her newer books are just flabby and repetitive.

    I'm having the same problem with Iain M Banks, I love his novels so much but in the last few years I think his standard has begun to slip. It's such a shame when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read Diana Gabaldon - maybe I'll just stop when I see things getting a little.. forced..

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Jilly Cooper, but you reminded me of Jackie Collins. Loved her earlier novels, like Rock Star and Chances. But her later stuff ... not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you should say that because I just read my first Jilly Cooper book and liked it. But I can see how the magic would wear off after a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Numerous friends have recommended Gabaldon but I tried the first and couldn't get into it. I was wondering about trying again, but maybe Id better give her a miss completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yvonne - Yes it's such a shame about JC as the first ones were great escapism. I've only read one Ian M Banks so haven't had your problem so far.
    Teabird - the first 3 are really excellent Happy V day to you too.
    Maree - I haven;t read Jackie C but I expect they are similar
    Becca - which did you read if you started in order than I agree Riders is great fun.
    Table Talk - I did like the first 3 very muchmaybe try again. Guess it depends on your tastes.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D