Monday, 14 January 2008

Wolf Brother

Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness) - Michele Paver

Read as part of the The Young Adult Challenge

Rating 4/5

This is one of those books that creates a world you long to be able to visit. The opening is gripping and fast paced

Torak woke with a jolt from a sleep he'd never meant to have.

The fire had burned low. he crouched in the fragile shell of light and peered into the looming blackness of the Forest. He couldn't see anything. Couldn't hear anything. Had it come back? Was it out there now. watching him with it's hot, murderous eyes?

Torak a 12 year old boy who lived 6000 years ago. He thinks he is ordinary but when his Father dies he discovers he is the Listener and embarks on a quest to save the forest in which he lives.

I loved that Michele Paver created a whole new world for me to enjoy. She weaves the traditions and beliefs of that world into the action of the novel so the flow of the narrative is never distributed by . The back of the book has a question and answer section with her and interestingly this wasn't a complete work of imagination she did a lot of research into stone age life.

The ending of the book was a predictable. As soon as the prophecy was mentioned I knew what was going to happen. However, the book is so exciting and interesting it didn't spoil my enjoyment.

This is the first in a series and I can't wait to read the next instalment of Torak's adventures.

6 comments:

  1. I very nearly bought this book the other day. Looks as though I should have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a good book. Your review reminded me of one I read a year or two ago about a prehistoric boy who first painted on cave walls... YA fiction also, but I can't remember the title now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alix, my first visit to this blog. I see you're reading Esme Lennox, I read that last year and am looking forward to what you thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marg - do buy it it's excellent
    Jeane - your book sounds good, Ilet me know if you remember the name
    Beccy - welcome! I'll let you know if I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paver is excellent, isn't she? I'm sure you'll enjoy the others just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again. I commented on this book at my blog, but it wasn't favorable. I'd like to link to yours, though! Mine.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D