Thursday, 10 January 2008

May I Introduce




  1. How did you come across your favorite author(s)? Recommended by a friend? Stumbled across at a bookstore? A book given to you as a gift?
  2. Was it love at first sight? Or did the love affair evolve over a long acquaintance?

I've found my favourite authors in a variety of ways:

through media hype - JK Rowling, Philip Pullman, Alexander McCall Smith, PD James

through book store browsing - Diana Gabaldon, Esther Freud, David Mitchell

through recommendations - Susan Cooper, Garth Nix, Kate Atkinson, Ian Rankin, Ian McEwan, Philipa Gregory, Janet Evanovich, Nancy Mitford.

Mostly I discover new authors through my husband, he has great taste and seems to know exactly what I'll like. I have loved everything he has ever recommended .

I also love wandering round book shops. I have been doing that a lot since we moved to Washington, we used to live in Mexico so no book shops and browsing through Amazon is just not the same!

Reading blogs is my new favourite way of finding great books. I love knowing what people thought and reading all your reviews, this does mean my TBR pile is getting enormous - so many books so little time!

It's usual Love at first sight for me, if I don't like the first 100 pages I normally don't like the whole book. I think I have rarely revised my opinion half way through a book. You'd think I would learn from this and stop reading if I'm not enjoying it but I just can't leave a book half read even f I hate it.

To see how other people find their books go here

11 comments:

  1. i've also met many new bookish friends via blog recommendations.

    how nice that your husband is a reader too :)

    i notice you're doing the Jane Austen challenge~have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wandering round bookshops is one of my favourite ways of discovering new writers too, especially second hand ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting recommendations from other bloggers. I noticed you like Jane Austen too. Starting January 13, Masterpiece Theatre is going to show all six Jane Austen movies. I can't remember which production is first but it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ravenous Reader - it's nice to meet people who share an interest. the JA challenge is great. I'll definitely enjoy it.

    Table Talk - I just love bookshops so much I can spend hours in them

    Jaimie - Thanks I had already seen the announcement and I can't wait to see the movies. Persuasion is first

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wonderful to have your husband to share the love of reading with! I want what you have LOL ;)

    Some of the books that you've listed are the one I like to :Janet Evanovich, Diana Gabaldon, JK Rowling. I hope your reading experience expand more :)

    Happy TTs and I hope you've a good days/weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Gregory was recommended to me as well. Great books. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy reading what others have to say about books as well and now I have some links to go on. :D I noticed the Jane Austen Challenge on the right and had to click to check it out. WooHoo! I signed up as well (hope I am not too late). I love Austen's books and I am so looking forward to "reading" the books and watching the movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband finds books for me too. It's very sweet that he'll buy me something that fits my tastes even though he'd never read it himself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia - yes it's nice ot have a shared interest
    Chris - yes they are. I wonder if the movie will be any good
    jen - cool that you signed up for the challenge
    bookgal - it's nice isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's interesting in how many different ways we find the books we love! So varied that I started keeping track and discovered that most of the books I find are happenchance at the public library!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeane - oh I like the idea of keeping track I may have to start doing that.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments, so thanks so much for taking the time. I'll try and return the favour :D